Does auto insurance follow the driver or the car in Kansas?

Anyone driving a vehicle in Kansas must have auto insurance. If you cannot prove financial responsibility in case of an accident, you can face serious civil and even criminal penalties. However, there may be some questions about whether you are covered when driving a particular vehicle. Marla Williams Agency can help answer your questions about who is covered by auto insurance.

Car Insurance Usually Follows the Car In Kansas

If you purchase auto insurance on your vehicle and you lend your vehicle to a friend with a license, that person is probably covered by your insurance. That includes your liability coverage, and it also includes your collision and comprehensive coverage if you have those.

Full Coverage

If you still owe money on your vehicle, your lender probably requires you to have full coverage auto insurance, which includes comprehensive and collision insurance. If you have full coverage, you also have minimum coverage that is higher than what the state requires.

  • Comprehensive coverage protects your vehicle if damage is caused by something other than a collision. If you hit a deer, or a tree falls on your car during a storm, comprehensive coverage is what will cover the damages.
  • Collision coverage repairs the damage to your own vehicle when you hit something. If you accidentally run into a fence or a tree, collision coverage protects you.

Call Today To Discuss Your Coverage

Kansas drivers have a lot of options when it comes to auto insurance. You are required to carry liability and personal injury protection, but there are other important protections you can take advantage of. If you would like to discuss your options, or if you have any questions about Kansas auto insurance, please feel free to call Marla Williams Agency today.